Brooklyn Row House

View all 10 Photos

Designers from the aptly-named Office of Architecture have been commissioned several times over to renovate different “Brooklyn Row Houses,” a common obstacle in the New York City borough described as “remnants of multiple renovations performed over a time for a variety of residents.” The second of four such projects, Brooklyn Row House 2 is perhaps the most striking feat of creative thinking over the limitations of time, family, and city life.
The architects were asked to gut and renovate a 110-year-old row house that had already been through a series of changes in its life. Aiming to make the 15’ foot wide building able to better adapt over time, they divided the space to suit its ever-changing tenants; 70% of the building comprises a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit while the other 30% is devoted to a 1 bedroom, 1 bath space to provide extra room for a growing family or a rental income for the building’s current residents. The space is designed to effortlessly adapt as its dwellers transition from newly weds, to parents, to empty nesters without moving or wasting an inch of the precious 2100 square foot Brooklyn property. Hardwood floors, marble kitchen accents, and a clean white paint palette make it hard to abandon the elegant dwelling. Built with both function and style in mind, it seems unlikely that the classic structure could be outgrown.

Lizzie Wright

Lizzie

​Lizzie Wright is an aspiring artist and designer with a passion for the written word. While she works on her BFA in Industrial Design at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), she spends her (rare) spare time riding around Providence on her trusty Cannondale and drinking lots of coffee. She is especially fascinated by the dichotomy between aesthetic form and function, which has an immense influence on her work. As a lover of the natural world, Lizzie plans to focus on Nature, Culture, and Sustainability Studies to pursue a more efficient future for design. Read more by visiting her website

Featured Products Explore new arrivals at the Gessato Shop

More for you

                array(5) {
  ["post__not_in"]=>
  array(1) {
    [0]=>
    int(149503)
  }
  ["tag__not_in"]=>
  array(2) {
    [0]=>
    int(16203)
    [1]=>
    int(9208)
  }
  ["posts_per_page"]=>
  int(12)
  ["caller_get_posts"]=>
  int(1)
  ["cat"]=>
  int(6178)
}
            
  • The Fox Restaurant

    A building from the 17th-century transformed into an elegant restaurant. Located in a picturesque village…

  • The Alegria Residential Building

    Two abandoned single-family houses converted into contemporary apartments. Located on Rua da Alegria in Porto,…

  • Barwon Heads House

    Perched in the low rolling hills beyond the historic village of Barwon Heads on Australia’s…

  • The Ruins Studio

    An architectural work of art. To design this spectacular house in Scotland, Lily Jencks Studio…

  • Campo Lindo House

    An abandoned building from the 19th-century becomes a bright family home. Located in Porto, Portugal,…

  • The Miner Road Residence

    A gorgeous house designed with sustainability and closeness to nature in mind. Designed by the…

  • GN House

    A contemporary design that puts a focus on material contrasts and natural light. Built in…

Take me there

  • The Albergo Miramonti Hotel

    A redesigned hotel interior inspired by nature and the local setting. Built in 1958 and…

  • Shou Sugi Ban House

    The ultimate wellness retreat near NYC. Located in the Hamptons, only 90 miles away from…

  • The Soori Bali Resort

    A tranquil resort in Bali with private beach. Built on the south-western coast of Bali,…